Thursday, July 7, 2011

Leith 1698; Quotes from the book......

Leith, 1698.
The wet narrow cobbled streets were deserted, the pessimists lingered inside, expecting more rain. The sandstone walls on either side seemed to lean inwards, their irregular tan and grey shapes sometimes peeping out from behind cracked plaster. A door opened to his left, and an old woman peered out, holding her shawl tight across her chest.

"Brr." Jamie shivered, always on the lookout for more sympathy. "Mornin; Mrs Dewar!"

"Ah 'mind it warm in July." she groused, and walked back inside.

"Chilly." Jamie answered to the closing door. "Downright bloody chilly."

(Except from Opportunities; Jamie Leith in Darien, by Ian Hall, published this month by IFWG Publishing.)


I found this old picture, and couldn't help it; it's EXACTLY as I envisaged Leith in 1698. It was like I was looking through Jamie's eyes. I got huge goosebumps!







2 comments:

  1. Maybe you were! I had that feeling while I was in Scotland. I've never been able to shake it. Like I could tell you a story of my whole life there...but I had never been there till 10 years ago. weirdness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally love the description and the character interaction. How many more days do we have to wait to buy it???

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...